afghan airplane alcohol ink altered altered book apothecary ArtPrize asian atc baby basket weave bats beads beeswax beveled glass bird bird cage birds black blanket bling blood bones bottles brass bronze bug Bunnies burlap butterfly button buttons cabinet camera candy corn canvas cat cats chalk charlotte charm charm copper metal grundge embossed patina charms chicks christmas christmas tree clock face clock parts cloth coins cold connection collage color copper corsets cream CREATE 2011 creepy crochet crows crystal cuckoo clock dew drop doll dolls doors easter eggs embossed etched etching eye eyeball eyeballs fabric fairy fat book faux tintytpe feather felted fingers flower flowers fork friends garage door hook garden gears ghost ghosts girls glass glass slide glitter gnome goggles gold goose Grand Rapids grundge halloween hat haunted house hearts hedgehogs hens and chicks house humpty dumpty images ink Jack-o-lantern jewelry journal kids knitting lace ladies lenticular lucite mail mannequin measuring tape men metal mice Michigan molding paste moon moss mummy necklace nest numbers orange ornament ornaments owl paint paper clay patina pencil pendant pictures plumbers tape portfolio potions published pumpkins purple purse rabbits rats ravens resin rivet rub ons rubber stamp santa sewing shoe silverware simple pleasures skeletons skulls snaps snow snowman snowmen solder Somerset Gallery spider spiders spooky stamped stamping stamps steampunk stencil swap swaps tags tan thimble tim holtz tintype tissue paper pattern tombstones toy transfer paper tree under the sea valentines vampires victorian vintage web window wings wire wire sun wire wrapped witch witches wood worry doll wreath zipper

Sunday, June 30, 2013

New Neighbors... fairies have arrived.

It started out as a simple project. I had this bird cage that I just love. The bent wire hearts on the doors just spoke to me. I have had it tucked away for some time. I was cleaning out my flower bed and realized my hen and chicks could use a cleaning out. I remembered the bird cage and thought how cool would that be.

I transplanted the hens and chicks and they took right off. Found the Dragons tail and it was coming together. How about a fairy house? I shopped around a little and just wasn't finding what I had in mind.


So the decision was to make one. With some basic plumbing pvc, (3 inch pvc drain pipe for the body, 3 inch to 1 1/2 reducer for the roof and a 1 1/2 cap) and my all time favorite clay, Aves Apoxie.  I set out making my fairy house.

I mixed my apoxie clay and then rolled out a thin layer, covering the drain pipe. I then took a texture plate made by wilton for the stone texture. Pressing it around the clay covered pipe base. The clay needs to cure over night. While waiting on that I covered the roof (reducer) with mosaics.

I painted everything a very light blue and then did a wash of raw umber to highlight the stones and give a aged look to the roof.

I picked up some little fairies at a estate sale recently. She fit perfectly looking out the window. I had gotten this far and something was still missing. That is when I added the flower boxes on the windows and also decided I need to have a door. The door is covered with apoxie clay and texture mold was used to give it that wood look.


I see more of these in my future. It was fun creating and I have already thought of so many other things I would do.  I am on the search for some more miniature succulents to add to this.. I see my little fairy garden expanding.


I thought I would end showing you what I used. Also how my door and windows came about. A big thank you to my husband for cutting them out for me.


2 comments:

Barbara said...

I love this idea and think that it is absolutely and that you did a wonderful job.
Lady Faith

Carole said...

That is pretty cool.